Why Are Heart Attacks on the Rise in Young People?
For the last several decades, aging has been established as one of the biggest risk factors for heart attacks, typically affecting men 50+ and women 65+. Now, people in their 20s, 30s, and 40s are more often falling victim to these cardiovascular attacks.
Cause: lifestyle, diabetes
There are a few reasons why we’re seeing the rise of heart attacks in young people. But one of the biggest risk factors is the increasing incidence of type 2 diabetes.
Contributors to type 2 diabetes include:
- Dietary choices such as exposure and access to ultra-processed food.
- Weight and obesity.
- Sedentary lifestyle and decreased physical activity.
We’re now seeing heart attacks occurring in young men who are only 25 or 35. Twenty years ago this wasn’t the case and was rarely discussed in medical school. Prevention will play a major role if we want to put a stop to this.
How early is early enough?
Bad lifestyle habits start early in our childhood now. Prevention and regular health check-ups starting at a tender age, contrary to the general belief, are crucial to prevent the progression of risk factors for heart attacks.
This would entail:
- Better lifestyle habits: such as exercising, eating nutritious food, not smoking, managing stress,
- Regular health check-ups: for early detection & prevention of preventable risk factors. Some of the tests might include factors for blood pressure, diabetes, insulin resistance, dyslipidemia, obesity & metabolic syndrome. Getting annual health check-ups with these factors will indicate any developing or developed conditions, enabling proactive prevention and treatment.
- If a heart condition is detected: Health check-ups as prescribed by the consulting doctor.
- Education & awareness: about what behaviors & factors put one at risk for cardiovascular diseases.
- Setting a good example: We need to set a good example for our children, considering the alarming rise in childhood obesity.
Bansal Diagnostic Centre offers a wide range of health check-up packages that are tailored according to your gender and age group. Take control of your health today and make your health a priority!